Tuesday, September 4, 2007

After Effects - Camera Layer Effect

Straight up.

After Effects used to scare me.

I was always intrigued by what this application could do, but after watching a few video tutorials online I was like "uhhh, that's hard".

It's one thing to look at Adobe Premiere and dive right in (still scares the pants off of most of friends.."movie maker works for me Al"), but After Effects is a different animal...we're talking serious 3D compositing, particle generating, motion tracking, and my favorite, text animation.


It wasn't until I saw a 3D montage created in After Effects that I decided to roll up my sleeves, dive in and learn it.

Here's a great example....




Within After Effects you can create your own 3D space and use a camera to navigate through this space and give a cool perspective on your composite - in my case, pictures.

For the record, pictures are 2d, but by using a camera layer in After Effects, it gives the illusion that the pics are indeed 3D.

3 comments:

Mike Garcia said...

aRE YOU USING CAMERA MAPPING?

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely superb. Amazing, amazing, and again... amazing. I'm learning to do 3D Photo Montages with After Effects. I do wedding videos and this would be an excellent effect for the wedding video.

I was scared at first, but like you after I saw what After Effects can do, I said that’s it. It’s a huge learning curve, but worth it. I went to http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials and learned nearly every tutorial there is on that site. What a great site to learn After Effects.

I’m still learning. Never stop learning.
-- joopdog --